John M. Hanna Cycles is a family run business with over 70 years experience in the bicycle industry. The business has a history reaching back to the 1940’s where the late Mr Gerard Hanna purchased the business then, known as, the ‘Wheel House’, from Mr Harry Watson. Gerard Hanna sold and carried out repairs on bikes at the ‘Wheel House’ – bikes then where a vital mode of transport for the working man and school children in the 1940’s! Gerard Hanna sold wireless’s and charged the then 2volt wet cell batteries for the aforementioned wireless’s, which were collected and returned to rural areas by the ‘Breadman’. Trading under the name ‘Gerard Hanna Cycle and Wireless Agent’ for over 30 years he retired in 1971. Before his retirement Gerard renamed the business ‘John M. Hanna Cycles’ and his son John took over in February 1972 after managing the business part time during 1971.
Throughout the years we have expanded and developed the business to provide the best service to our customers…
· 1974 - Introduction of Key Cutting and Camping GAZ and the installation of our first computer for accounts and a customer database.
· 1982 – An important year for John M. Hanna Cycles as we expanded into adjoining premises and achieved the street frontage and showroom area required for an ever expanding product range.
· 1988 - Acquisition of ‘GDL Car Care’ creating ‘John M. Hanna Cycles & Car Accessories’ and the further expansion of the showroom.
· 1994 - Appointment of John M. Hanna Cycles as local distributor for RALEIGH giving rise to the wholesale division of John M. Hanna Cycles. This has quickly developed into a major part of our overall business and handles products from an extensive range of manufacturers. An EPOS and stock control system was introduced in the same year and part numbers are now approaching 15,000.This year also seen our first on-line presence, when www.jmhcycles.co.uk was born, thanks to John’s first son Christopher. Christopher still helps out at holiday times and on a part time basis whilst pursuing a career in Engineering and Project Management.
· 2005 – Expansion of our bike brand portfolio to become “Appointed TREK Stockists” now a significant part of our portfolio thanks to John’s second son Gavin.
John’s wife Janet is financial controller, as well as, telephonist, sales assistant and is involved in the general running of the business. John and Janet’s son Gavin joined the business full time in 2006 and manages the Retail division and boasts expertise in TREK and on-line section of the business whilst managing the Advertising and Public Relations. John is the General Manager with special responsibility for purchasing, stock control and the wholesale division. The business support staff are vital to the success of John Hanna cycles and without them the business could not survive. We sell and service a wide variety of cycles and offer a range of quality parts, accessories, clothing and cycling shoes.
We are CYCLE TO WORK SCHEME partners and would be pleased to work with either employees or employers to facilitate this.
Feel free to browse our site, give us a call or send us an e-mail, we’d be delighted to hear from you…
John M. Hanna Cycles - MORE THAN JUST A BIKE SHOP
Gavin recently interviewed by Lisburn Council